This is the quickest and easiest whole-wheat gnocchi recipe you’ll find! Five ingredients for the gnocchi and five for the sauce. Does’t get easier than that! Made it tonight and it was sooooo good! Plus, you have a video down here to help making the gnocchi.
For the Gnocchi:
4 small potatoes
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flower
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1 cup water
a pinch of salt
For the Tomato Sauce:
1 large can (200ml) Italian plum tomatoes
5-6 leaves of fresh basil
1 large clove of garlic
salt to taste
In a pan, heat garlic in olive oil. Add pureed tomato sauce and let it simmer for 30 minutes on medium heat. Yes, that’s it!
I’m visual. So here’s our “1-Minute Blonde Trick” on how to make them!
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel potatoes and add to pot. Cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Soak chia seeds in 1/2 cup of water for about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Combine mashed potato, flour, water, and soaked chia seeds in a large bowl. Knead until dough forms a ball.
- Shape small portions of the dough into long “snakes”. On a floured surface, cut snakes into one-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Drop in gnocchi and cook for 3-5 minutes or until gnocchi have risen to the top; drain and add to sauce.
- Stir until gnocchi are well-coated with sauce.